I know that this is a food blog and not a movie blog, but I’ve finally gotten around to watching Deadpool 2 and HOLY F***ING S***!!! By no means was it a perfect movie, and it’s certainly not gonna win any Oscars, but man was it fun! I prefer it over the first one, and I really liked the first one. Seriously, if I had more time/money, I’d watch it again. I’d probably watch it ten times and still not get bored. Just a few random thoughts (with very minor spoilers):
1) I’m generally not into shipping but DeadpoolxColossus is now my OTP (just need to think of a good name for the couple since neither Deadsus nor Colopool rolls off of the tongue well). Not really sure of how Colossus’ anatomy works either since Deadpool broke his hand punching him in the groin in the last movie, but hey, if Deadpool can apparently survive getting literally ripped in half…I’m just going to leave it right there.
2) I get that Vanisher’s invisible, and that he either can’t or won’t turn off his powers unless he’s getting electrocuted, but is he also mute?
3) I’ve got a big crush on Cable right now, even if he might be a little “racist”. The dude makes fanny packs and lip balm look sexy/manly. And the look of horror/disgust on his face when Deadpool teabags him seriously cracked me up.
4) But seriously though, does Cable have actual superhero powers, or is he just a really badass soldier with advanced technology? Yeah, I know that he’s a mutant in the comics, but so is Vanessa. Speaking of which…
5) I know that I’m a heartless jerk, but I just did not care for the whole romance between Vanessa and Deadpool (and it’s NOT because they’re getting in the way of my Collusus and Deadpool ship). Romances in superhero/action movies are just horrible. To give credit where it’s due, the Deadpool one is probably better than 90% of all relationships that I’ve seen, but that’s kind of like saying that skin cancer has a much better prognosis than 90% of all cancers, which segways into my next point…
6) Melanoma apparently kills around 55,000 people a year, according to Wikipedia. Sorry, I just HAD to look that up. PETER!
7) One final point. I TOTALLY side with Russell. There needs to be more plus-sized superheroes! I want to see myself being represented on screen GOD DAMNIT!
But I’m not here to review movies, so here’s a review for Gallery Cafe. They are located right next to the Vancouver Art Gallery (which I’ve never been to since I don’t understand the appeal of staring at drawings/statues). They’ve got a good selection of casual breakfast/lunch items, but I was of course drawn to their desserts. I got a Mississippi Mud Pie, a Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake, and Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake. I had the desserts to go, and unfortunately, my cakes did get somewhat battered during the trip back home.
Mississippi Mud Pie ($5.25):
This consisted of a chocolate cookie crust filled with chocolate pudding, and topped with cream and pecans. I quite enjoyed the chocolate pudding, which was smooth and creamy. It was not of the highest quality, but definitely still tasty. The cream was fresh while the nuts were toasted, but I did find both to be a bit bland (I would have liked there to be some sugar/salt).
Blueberry Lemon Cheesecake ($5.95):
Although the cake got battered during the trip back home, it still tasted very good. It was creamy and smooth, albeit a tad dry, with a mild tang and a fantastic fragrance of lemon. The blueberry sauce lent a nice bit of sweetness and tang, as well as fragrance.
Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake ($5.95):
This consisted of layers of chocolate chip cake sandwiching cookie dough icing. The cake was a bit on the drier side, though not overly so, and filled with a generous amount of chocolate chips. The icing was sweet, with a nice flavour of brown sugar. This is a sweeter dessert and while I really enjoyed it, I think that some others might find it to be a bit too much.
So in conclusion, Deadpool 2 was a great, entertaining movie that was just as good, if not better, than the original movie. And oh, also, Gallery Cafe’s got some pretty tasty and reasonably-priced desserts that are worth checking out. Seriously though, go see Deadpool 2 first!
Recommendations: Cheesecake, Cakes (they have a rotating variety)